The Minister of State for Universities, Science, Research and Innovation, Jo Johnson MP, visited The Oxford Science Park on Tuesday the 4th of April 2017 to take part in an official ground-breaking ceremony and reveal the name of the £13 million state of the art new office and laboratory building capable of accommodating 500 people.
The Schrödinger Building will be named after Austrian theoretical physicist professor Erwin Rudolf Josef Alexander Schrödinger (1887 – 1961). Awarded the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1933, he was one of the great scientists of the twentieth century. Schrödinger came to Magdalen College Oxford, which owns The Oxford Science Park, to a Fellowship from 1933 to 1938.
The 7,100 sqm building will provide around 5,574 sqm of net floor area. The building’s massing and orientation responds thoughtfully to its immediate context. The top level of the building will be set back from the North, East and West to respect massing of its neighbours, creating a roof terrace for the tenants.
The design of the new building adheres to the guidelines and key indicators of the BCO using a palette of high quality materials, responding to the client’s brief and reflecting the building’s high use values. Energy efficiency is paramount with a BREEAM rating of “Very Good” the design incorporates passive design measures as well as low and zero carbon technologies such as air source heat pumps. The main entrance to the building will be from the north, directly facing the landscaped drop-off and linking into the wider masterplan of the Science Park.